Skip to content
  • overcast clouds: 85-100% 25 °C
  • Contrast
  • Easy Language

Tax office

As a rule, there is no obligation to inform the tax office of a change of address.

Should you move within a district, the tax office will find out your new address at the latest on submission of your next income tax declaration, which means that you do not need to inform the tax office separately. However if you are still waiting for a tax notice or other notifications from the tax office, it is advisable to inform them of your new address in writing (by letter), quoting your tax number. This applies accordingly if you are moving to another district.

Should another tax office become responsible for you due to you moving house however, you must submit your income tax declaration to the office which is responsible for your new place of residence. This tax office will request the previous tax documents from the tax office which was responsible for you previously.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Finanzministerium, represented by the Oberfinanzdirektion Karlsruhe, released it on 19.03.2024. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.

In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.