Skip to content
  • few clouds: 11-25% 15 °C
  • Contrast
  • Easy Language

Student support

During a period of study, costs of maintenance are incurred. At the same time, you must pay by yourself various fees connected to the course of study.

You should consider the following when considering how to finance your course of study:

Depending on your own standard of living and study location, according to the 20th survey of the German Students' Union (Deutsches Studentenwerk), students in Germany require 864 EUR per month, should they no longer be living with their parents:

  • Costs of accommodation (rent and other expenses such as electricity, heating, water, waste disposal fees)
  • Costs of food and clothing
  • Costs of transportation and trips home
  • Costs of insurance (such as health insurance)
  • Telephone, Internet, radio and television fees
  • Spending money

Costs connected to the course of study:

  • Administration costs contribution, students' union contribution and contributions to the student body
  • Specialist literature, PC and other learning aids

Note: In case of masters degrees, the universities can charge tuition fees to varying amounts.

Administration costs contribution

The state universities in Baden-Württemberg charge and administration costs contributions for the general administrative services (for example registration, leave of absence). The administration costs contribution at universities is 670 EUR per semester and 1420 EUR per year of study at universities of co-operative education.

Students' union contribution

During the registration and response process, a students' union contribution is charged, by means of which the students' unions partially finance their support and advice services. The students' union contribution must be paid each semester. In return, you have the right to use all of the facilities and services of your students' union.

In addition to the students' union contribution, depending on the study location, a so-called "solidarity contribution" may be due, by means of which you acquire the right to use public transport for a reduced charge. The amount of the "solidarity contribution" and price for the semester ticket varies from location to location.

Contribution to the student body

During the registration and response process, a contribution to the student body of your university is also charged. The payment of this contribution is also obligatory. This contribution funds the student body, which represents the interests of the students of a university.


All students are included in the statutory accident insurance. The statutory accident insurance includes all activities which are directly connected to the course of study. This does not just include lectures, but also other events (such as excursion, university transport) which are part of the university. The accident insurance also covers travel to the university.

In addition, the students' unions also offer leisure time accident insurance, as well as wardrobes and bicycle theft insurance by means of payment of the students' union contribution. By means of the leisure time accident insurance, the insurance coverage is extended to include all leisure time.

Some students' unions also offer personal liability and contents insurance (the latter only for halls of residence managed by the students' union).

Tip: You can obtain further information concerning the amount of your students' union contribution from the website of the students' union which is responsible for you.

The students' unions in Baden-Württemberg can be found in the "students' unions" rubric.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wissenschaftsministerium released it on 11.04.2023. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.

In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.