Skip to content
  • overcast clouds: 85-100% 24 °C
  • Contrast
  • Easy Language

Transport and logistics

If you want to set up a business in the "Transport and Logistics sector", you have to observe specific provisions in addition to the compulsory business registration.

The most frequent start-ups are in passenger transport as taxi or car hire companies as well as in commercial road haulage.

Your personal reliability, professional suitability and financial rating are checked before you receive a licence both for the commercial transport of persons and for the commercial transport of goods.

In addition, if you want to transport passengers commercially, as a driver you need a driving licence for the transportation of passengers.

The licence requirement for commercial road haulage with motor vehicles comes into force from a maximum permissible weight exceeding 3.5 metric tons (including trailer). This also includes transportation with passenger cars if the maximum permissible weight exceeds 3.5 metric tonnes (e.g. if a trailer is used).

Tip: Information on setting up a company for road haulage as well as passenger transport is offered by the Chambers of Commerce and Industry in Baden-Württemberg. More information can be got from the trade associations:

Brochures and other publications issued by the Finanz- und Wirtschaftsministerium for the logistics location in Baden-Württemberg can be found on the portal "Logistics Baden-Württemberg" (Portal "Logistik Baden-Württemberg").

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Ministerium für Verkehr und Infrastruktur released it on 10.11.2015. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.

In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.