Skip to content
  • overcast clouds: 85-100% 24 °C
  • Contrast
  • Easy Language


The European Higher Education Area which 48 European countries have joined within the framework of the “Bologna Process” provides diverse courses of study with a graded structure and the common academic titles of Bachelor and Master.

In order to successfully complete a course of study, you generally need to pass a university, state or church examination. As a graduate, you will receive an academic title such as Bachelor or Master, depending on the form of study, as well as a certificate or state designation of qualification.

The higher education degree or other professional title, which is awarded after successfully completing a course of study, is determined according to the corresponding examination regulations of the institution of higher education.

Qualification with a Higher Education Degree

  • Bachelor/Bakkalaureus (Qualification equivalent to the international bachelor's Degree)
  • Master (Qualification equivalent to the international Master's Degree)
  • Lizentiat (Licentiate degree)
  • Concert Soloist
  • Künstlerische Abschlussprüfung (Final examination at a College of Art or College of Music)
  • previously: Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree (e.g. Law, Science, Theology)

State Qualification

  • Staatsprüfung (Lehramt) (State examination concluding a course of study for the teaching profession)
  • Staatsexamen (State examination concluding a course of study in certain subjects (e.g. medical subjects, law) – without teaching profession)

Church qualification

  • Ecclesiastical Examination

Other Qualification

  • Report
  • Certificate
  • Without final examination (some course of study in liberal art)

Detailed information

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wissenschaftsministerium released it on 28.03.2024. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.

In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.