Skip to content
  • overcast clouds: 85-100% 27 °C
  • Contrast
  • Easy Language


Students can basically be employed in three types of employment:

  • Mini-Jobs (up to 450 euros per month)
  • More than short-time employment
  • Jobbing during the semester breaks

Some Student Unions in Baden-Wuerttemberg offer their own Employment Agency, which can be used free of charge both by enrolled students and also by employers.

Social Insurance Aspects

The employed student is subject to social insurance contributions within the scope of statutory provisions. Your employer has to check whether the prerequisites for a legal obligation for social insurance exist. You are obliged to give all necessary information for this.

Note: For students, who receive BAföG, it is important that their earnings from holiday jobs and part-time work during the period they receive the grant, do not exceed the legally specified allowance (since 01.08.2008 4,800 euros gross or 400 euros gross per month; the earned income includes also proportionately special payments - e.g. holiday pay, Christmas bonus). Otherwise it will have an effect on the amount of BAföG. The full income from a contract for placement students and students about to take their diploma is taken into account.

Even the Federal Employment Agency or the General Student Organization at an Institution of Higher Education are able to procure jobs. Here you can find further links on the subject "Jobs and Placements".

Detailed information

Specific information on the types of employment can be found on the website of the German Student Unions.

If you should consider taking part-time work for financial reasons, please make sure that this does not affect your course of study. Here you can find information on Financial Assistance.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wissenschaftsministerium and the Sozialministerium released it on 17.11.2017. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.

In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.