Skip to content
  • broken clouds: 51-84% 19 °C
  • Contrast
  • Easy Language

Agriculture and forestry

You have to notify a business start-up in the agriculture and forestry sector to the tax office and pay taxes on the income. It is not necessary to register at the trade supervisory office. You do not need to have any particular professional qualifications to work in the agriculture and forestry sector. Nevertheless you must observe various legal provisions such as environmental protection, food safety and animal health.

Farmers can receive compensation and direct payments under certain conditions. Information is available from the following agricultural authorities at the rural district offices (Landratsämter).

As opposed to other self-employed occupations, there is an independent social security system in the agriculture and forestry sector. For more detailed information, please contact the agricultural social insurance agencies in Baden-Württemberg and the district offices of the farmers’ associations.

Tax advisors, tax agents, tax consulting companies and agricultural accounting firms can assist you with tax issues and similar services. Even farmers’ associations have such accounting firms. Agricultural accounting firms provide help not only in the core areas accounting and tax consulting but also with business start-ups, handing over companies, provisions for succession and handing over farms.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Ministerium für Ländlichen Raum und Verbraucherschutz released it on 23.09.2020. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.

In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.