Skip to content

Change of residence

If you move but keep your old flat, you must declare which flat is your main flat.

The main dwelling is the dwelling that is predominantly used, i.e. the dwelling where you actually stay most often in relation to one or more other dwelling(s). If you are married and do not live permanently separated from your family, you have your main residence in the dwelling predominantly used by your family. The same applies to registered civil partnerships. Minors have their main residence in the dwelling predominantly used by their legal guardians. In cases of doubt, your main residence is where the main focus of your living relations is.

Secondary residence is any other dwelling within the country. You can therefore have one main residence and several secondary residences.

Detailed information

Life situation"Relocation

Release note

27.01.2023; Innenministerium Baden-Württemberg