You sold your car.
the registration authorities (Zulassungsbehörde) in whose district the vehicle was registered
The registration authorities are
- for an urban district (Stadtkreis): the city council (Stadtverwaltung)
- for a rural district (Landkreis): the rural district office (Landratsamt)
You must immediately notify the competent licensing authorities of the sale of the vehicle in writing or personally. Please provide the following information:
- Vehicle registration number
- Your full name
- Address of the buyer
Many licensing authorities provide a notification form for downloading via the Internet.
Note: Please obtain confirmation from the buyer of handover of all necessary documents. If applicable, this also includes the registration number.
Confirmation of receipt of the buyer of the vehicle documents:
- Certification of registration part I (previously: registration certificate)
- Certification of registration part II (previously: registration certificate)
- Official registration number
No fees are charged.
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Verkehrsministerium released it on 16.08.2021. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.