Skip to content

Deregistering a business

If you want to terminate a business, you have to deregister your business. The same applies if you want to relocate the business to another municipality or town. You then have to deregister your business at its existing location and if you want to continue the business, register at the new location.

Note: If you move the location of your business within the municipality or town, it is sufficient to register a change in address of the business.

In the case of retail trade, it is the duty of the sole traders to notify the deregistration of the business, in the case of partnership companies (e.g. OHG, KG, BGB-Gesellschaft) the duty of all partners with managing authority and in the case of corporations (e.g. GmbH, AG) the duty of the legal representative.


You want to

  • give up the operation of your business or
  • move your business to a different district or city.

Responsible department

the municipal administration/city council (Gemeinde-/Stadtverwaltung) of the previous premises

Standard port

Enter the previous location of your premises in the location field.


You must deregister your business in writing or electronically.

A simple email does not suffice. The de-registration can also be carried out via the standard network contact person.

Please use the “company de-registration” (“Gewerbe-Abmeldung”) form for the de-registration.

It is available at your municipal offices or, depending on your municipality, is offered as a download.

If you submit the de-registration in writing, you must sign the form.

If you or your legal representative do not deregister the business in person, the person assigned to deregister your business must be given written power of attorney.If you deregister your business in writing or electronically, you will be sent confirmation of your business deregistration and a bill of charges within three days. If you deregister your business in person, the confirmation will be handed to you straight away.

The authority responsible for your business deregistration will forward it to other authorities such as the Inland Revenue (Finanzamt), the Chamber of Crafts and Trades (Handwerkskammer), the Chamber of Industry and Commerce (Industrie- und Handelskammer), the register court (Registergericht) and the Employer's Liability Insurance Association (Berufsgenossenschaft).

Note: If it is absolutely certain that your business is to be terminated, and if you do not deregister it within a reasonable period, your business will be deregistered ex officio.


You must deregister your business at the time it is relocated or terminated.

Required documents

Completed form


The amount charged is based on the local regulations governing the fees.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wirtschaftsministerium released it on 06.08.2019. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.

In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.