- Possession of a residence permit that does not prohibit you from working
- the city administration if you live in a city district or major city district
- in all other cases, the district administration.
You must apply in writing in order to obtain permission to carry out the intended employment. For this, you will usually need an application form which can be obtained from the competent authority. Once you have completed it, you can return the form in person or by post.
If you are undertaking a study-related work placement, the company employing you will fill out a registration form and a work placement plan.
Depends on the individual case
Please request information in advance from the competent body. .
- Information of the Federal Agency for Student Employment for Students from non-EU/EEA Countries
- Information of the German academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in German and English.
You can also have a work placement arranged and approved if you are a foreign student studying at an institute of higher education abroad. The authority responsible for this is the International Placement Service, ZAV, part of the Federal Employment Agency.
- § 4 Abs. 3 Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG) (Erfordernis eines Aufenthaltstitels)
- § 16 Abs. 3 Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG) (Studium; Sprachkurse; Schulbesuch)
- § 284 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III) (Genehmigungspflicht)
- § 9 Arbeitsgenehmigungsverordnung (ArGV) (Arbeitsgenehmigungsfreie Beschäftigungen)
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released it on 05.03.2020. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.