- Driving licence in credit card format
- Minimum age: 21 years; for ambulances: 19 years
- Driving licence class B or equivalent for at least two years; for ambulances: one year
- physical and mental aptitude, adequate eyesight
- personal reliability: there must be no serious criminal record or traffic violations.
- valid driving licence for passenger transport
the driving licence office in your place of residence
Is the driving licence office,
- if you live in a city district: the city council
- if you live in a rural district: the Landratsamt (district administration office)
The application can be submitted in writing or, if offered by the competent authority, as an online application. If you submit a written application, you can obtain the application form from the driving licence office. You can also submit the written application including the required proofs and documents there.
For the online application, please use the link on this page. You can upload the required proofs and documents as file attachments as part of the online application.
None, it is recommended to apply for the extension in due time about six months before the expiry of the passenger transport licence
- Identity card or passport
- general driving licence in cheque card format
- Certificate of good conduct
- current information from the driving suitability register
- medical certificate confirming the examination of your eyesight or a certificate from an ophthalmologist
You can have this examination carried out:
- by an ophthalmologist or ophthalmologist,
- an occupational physician or occupational health practitioner
- at an assessment centre for driving aptitude,
- a doctor from the public health department, another doctor from the public administration
An issued certificate is valid for two years.
- medical certificate of fitness on a form
There is a form for this certificate that doctors have in most cases. You can have the examination at a doctor's office of your choice. At the time of application, the certificate must not be older than one year.
- if you are over 60 years of age, additionally: a performance psychological assessment
The performance psychological assessment mainly contains a check of
- Ability to work under pressure,
- Reaction time,
- Orientation and
- Ability to concentrate.
Proof is provided in the form of a company or occupational medical report or a report from an officially recognised assessment centre for driving aptitude.
- for the extension: EUR 38.00
- when applying at the municipality: additional EUR 5.10
- further costs are incurred for the application for a certificate of good conduct as well as the required proof of suitability and medical examinations
Information on how to lodge an objection (form and deadline) can be obtained from the office responsible for you (driving licence authority in your place of residence)
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Ministry of Transport Baden-Württemberg released it on 11.08.2023. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.