- There must be a public need.
- Special local conditions must apply.
- for shortening rest periods in individual cases: the municipality (Gemeinde) in whose district the place of business is located for which a shortening of the rest period is being sought
- for a general shortening of the rest period: The urban and rural districts (Stadtkreise and Landkreise) large urban districts (Große Kreisstadt), as well as municipalities and administrative units (Verwaltungsgemeinschaft) with their own scope of authority under building laws.
Enter the location of your premises in the Location field.
The rest period for individual enterprises can only be shortened by application. As a general rule, there are no forms to fill in. However, we do recommend applicants specify which rest period is being sought for which enterprise. A brief written explanation is also recommended.
Some municipalities have their own application forms which may be available for download online.
No legal deadlines apply. However it is advisable to apply as early as possible.
Fees are levied in accordance with the Scale of charges and fees (Gebührenverordnung) for the specific state.
- § 1 Gaststättenverordnung (GastVO) (Sachliche Zuständigkeit)
- § 9 Gaststättenverordnung (GastVO) (Allgemeine Sperrzeit)
- § 11 Gaststättenverordnung (GastVO) (Allgemeine Ausnahmen)
- § 12 Gaststättenverordnung (GastVO) (Ausnahmen für einzelne Betriebe)
- § 18 Gaststättengesetz (GaststättenG) (Sperrzeitverkürzung)
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released it on 20.05.2016. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.