Skip to content
  • broken clouds: 51-84% 23 °C
  • Contrast
  • Easy Language

Applying for a certificate of competence for the commercial handling and trading of substances with a risk of explosion

Any responsible person handling explosive substances on behalf of a licence holder requires an official certificate of competence for handling and/or dealing with explosive substances. This includes, for example:

  • Supervisors, especially managers of the relevant company departments
  • Individuals authorised to carry out blasting
  • Foremen
  • Supervisory personnel qualified in explosive ordinance disposal,
  • Warehouse managers and
  • Individuals who transport explosive substances and deliver them to others as part of their transport role or accept them from the transport company.

Holders of a certificate of competence for the commercial handling and trading of substances with a risk of explosion can only be natural persons.


  • Reliability
  • Specialist knowledge
  • Personal suitability
  • At least 21 years of age
  • German citizenship or citizenship from another EU member state

Responsible department

The local police authority

Local police headquarters depending on your place of residence:

  • The city administration in large cities in the district or
  • The district administration


The certificate of competence for the handling and/or trading of substances with a risk of explosion can be applied for.

Please fill in the following forms for this purpose and submit these to the responsible authority personally:

  • “Application for the issuing of a certificate of competence in accordance with § 20 of the Law relating to Explosives”
  • If applicable: Form “A”

Please provide the necessary proof of your specialist knowledge.

Required documents

  • Completed application forms
  • valid passport or personal ID card
  • Evidence of specialist knowledge
  • as evidence of personal reliability:
    • If residing in Germany:
      • certificate of good conduct (Führungszeugnis)
    • If residing abroad: documents from your country of residence that testify to your personal reliability.

The competent body may request additional documents in order to verify your personal reliability.


  • Sliding-scale fee: EUR 35.79 to EUR 204.52 or
  • If available: fees according to the municipal statute of fees concerning explosives legislation

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Umweltministerium released it on 25.01.2021. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.

In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.