If your vehicle is to be scrapped, you require a certificate of destruction from your car scrapyard. This confirms the proper disposal of the vehicle. If applicable, you require a formless declaration of the whereabouts of your vehicle.
All licensing authorities in Germany, if you can produce the necessary documents.
In case of lack of documents, only the licence plate administering approval authority.
The authorities are
- for an urban district (Stadtkreis): the city council (Stadtverwaltung)
- for a rural district (Landkreis): the rural district office (Landratsamt)
You or an authorised representative must
- notify the de-registration to the licensing authorities and
- hand over the numberplate and
- the necessary documents.
Note: You will receive back the de-stamped numberplates and the cancelled registration certificate part I (previously: vehicle certificate). If you wish to use the registration again in the future, you can have this reserved for a determined period of time. The reservation will incur a fee.
The tax-administrative body and the insurance company will be automatically informed of the de-registration of your vehicle.
- Registration certificate part I (previously: vehicle certificate)
- If applicable, proof of destruction or
- declaration concerning whereabouts (for example disposal abroad or continued use as old timer).
Depending on time taken for administration: from 5.10 EUR
Note: Should you de-register your vehicle outside of the area of the approval authorities which are responsible for you, a higher fee will be charged.
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Verkehrsministerium released it on 16.08.2021. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.