Skip to content
  • broken clouds: 51-84% 23 °C
  • Contrast
  • Easy Language

Applying for a seasonal registration

Seasonal registrations are intended for vehicles which you only use curing certain seasons, for example motorbikes, cabriolets or camping vans. By means of this, you can save yourself the constant effort of registering and de-registering them.

When registering the vehicle, you set a period of operation during which you wish to use the vehicle. This can be for a period of time between two and eleven months Outside of the period of operation, you may not drive the vehicle on public roads and must store it on private land outside of public roads are areas, for example in a garage.

Note: The period of time is stated on the right hand side of the registration place as a fraction number. "05/11" means that the vehicle can be used from May to November as an example.

Insurance coverage and the obligation to pay contributions will lapse outside of the period of operation.


  • You must not have any fees and expenses outstanding from previous registration processes.
    In case of payment arrears of more than 30 euros, the approval authorities may not register your vehicle until you have settled the amount. In case of payment arrears of less than 30 euros, the licensing authorities can decide whether they will register the vehicle anyway or not.
  • You may not have any vehicle excise duty debts of 5 euros or more. When calculating the amount, default supplements, interest and lateness surcharges are taken into account.
  • Should somebody represent you during the registration process of your vehicle, you must issue them with written power of attorney. This power of attorney must contain a statement of consent that the approval authorities may inform the representing person of outstanding fees and charges on your part. Your representative must show the power of attorney and identify himself or herself.

Responsible department

the registration authorities (Zulassungsbehörde), which are responsible for the principle residence of the owner (otherwise: company premises or location of the relevant subsidiary)

The registration authorities are

  • for an urban district (Stadtkreis): the city council (Stadtverwaltung)
  • for a rural district (Landkreis): the rural district office (Landratsamt)

Standard port

Geben Sie in der Ortswahl Ihren Hauptwohnsitz, den Betriebssitz oder Ort der Niederlassung ein.


You or your representative must apply for the seasonal registration at the competent licensing authority.

Depending on what is offered by your licensing authority, a form for downloading or an online service via the Internet are available.

The licensing authority may request that you show the vehicle.

The licensing authority will issue your vehicle with a seasonal registration plate and attach the stickers (main inspection and stamp) to it. The licensing authority will automatically inform your insurance company of the registration of your vehicle.

Tip: You can obtain the registration plates from private providers. You can usually find these near the licensing authorities.

Should you wish to drive in environmental zones and should you not have an exemption permit, you should also apply for a particle emissions sticker during the registration process.

Required documents

  • Valid personal identity document or passport
  • in case of representation by a written power of attorney: additionally valid personal identity document or passport of the representative
  • In case of minors: additional declaration consent and identity documents of the parents/guardians
  • In case of legal persons/companies:
  • SEPA mandate direct debit authorisation for the vehicle tax
  • Confirmation of insurance stating the seasonal dates
  • Registration certificate part I (previously: vehicle certificate)
  • Certification of registration part II (previously: vehicle certificate) and operating permit (for vehicles which do not require registration but need a number)
  • Proof of a valid main inspection (MI)
  • Previous registration
  • If applicable, confirmation of reservation for the vanity plate

Note: Disabled persons with the mark "H", "BI" or "aG" in their disabled person's identity document continue to be exempted from vehicle excise duty. They do not need to provide a direct debit mandate.

In certain exceptional cases, you can also make an application for exemption from the direct debit collection procedure. In the application form, you can find out what requirements you must fulfil in this respect.

Please note: Should you wish to change the seasonal period, you require a new confirmation of insurance, as well as new plates for the vehicle. You will not receive any other letter or number combination. Exception: The combination behind the recognition marking is already formed of six numbers.


Fees in accordance with the administrative expense in line with the respective vehicle licensing procedure.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Verkehrsministerium released it on 16.08.2021. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.

In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.