Skip to content

Apply for an international driving licence

In certain, mostly non-European countries, you need an International Driving Licence in addition to the national one.

Note: In which countries you need an International Drivingryou can find out in which countries you need an international driving licence from the major automobile clubs, travel agencies and the respective embassies and consulates.

You do not need an international driving licence within the EU/EEA countriesadriving licence. However, it can be useful if you are travelling abroadsuse a rental car abroad.


three years, unless a national driving licence class is valid for a shorter period
This is the case, for example, with driving licences for lorries or buses (class C, C1, D or D1).
International driving licences issued in accordance with the International Convention on Motor Traffic of 24 April 1926 are only valid for one year. These driving licences are mainly needed in Asian countries.

An expired International Driving Permit cannot be renewed.

The driving licence authorities must inform the Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt that your International Driving Licence has been issued. This information is stored together with the driving licence number of your cheque card driving licence in the Central Driving Licence Registeriched. If you still have a paper driving licence, you must have it converted to the card driving licence.


  • Minimum age: 18 years
  • EU or EEA driving licence or a foreign permit to drive motor vehicles
  • Residence in Germany for at least 185 days per year or residence in a state that is not a party to the Convention on Road Traffic of 8 November 1968

Responsible department

the driving licence office in your place of residence

Is the driving licence office,

  • if you live in a city district: the city council
  • if you live in a rural district: the Landratsamt (district administration office)


You must apply for the International Driving Permit at the driving licence office of your place of residence. It is not necessary to apply in person. An authorised person (written power of attorney) can also collect the driving licence. The application is submitted to the driving licence office in your place of residence in writing or, if offered by the competent authority, as an online application. If you apply in writing, you can obtain the application form from the driving licence office. You can also submit the written application, including the required proof and documents, there.

For the online application, please use the link on this page. You can upload the required proofs and documents as file attachments as part of the online application.

Notice: If all requirements and necessary documents are met, the Driving Licence Office will issue the Internatithe driving licence office will issue the international driving licence immediately if you come in person.



Required documents

  • Identity card or passport
  • biometric passport photo
  • EU driving licence in credit card format: If you still have an old driving licence in paper format, you must exchange it for a credit card driving licence.


  • for the international driving licence depending on the city or district: EUR 12.20 - 16.30
  • if you exchange your previous driving licence for a card driving licence: an additional EUR 25.30

The extract from the local driving licence register ("card transcript") costs you nothing.

Processing time






You can obtain information on how to lodge an objection (form and deadline) from the office responsible for you (driving licence office in your place of residence)

Release note

08.12.2023 Verkehrsministerium Baden-Württemberg